Pool Care Checklist
Thorough pool care will ensure clean and safe water throughout the swimming season. And we want to make sure we do everything we can to get your pool swim-ready and keep it there!
That is why we’ve put together this handy Pool Care Checklist for you to follow to ensure your pool is properly maintenanced and safe.
- Check your pool timer: Make sure your timer is set for the right season.
Whether it’s an automatic or manual timer, if it’s not working, call Houston Pools Unlimited to get it back on track.
- Empty Pump basket(s): Your pool’s circulation system includes the skimmer, pump, pump strainer, drains, and filter. The system helps chemicals work effectively and ensures that water is properly filtered. Empty the debris and leaves from your pump basket.
- Check Pressure Gauge: The pressure gauge should be at 0 while the pump is off. If it’s not at 0, replace the gauge. Or contact us for help.
- Check for leaks: Places to look for leaks are around your pump, filters, valves, and other equipment in the surrounding area. If you find a leak, contact us.
- Clean filter & backwash: Clean cartridge filters, D.E filters, and Sand filters. Replace sand filters if they are older than 3 years. Backwash the pool filter as needed (weekly for pools that see a lot of use; or when the filter gauge reads 8-10 psi higher than normal).
- Check Salt Cell: Check salt cell for calcium build up. In case you find a build-up, do clean it!
- Check Auto Chlorinator: Refill Chlorinator and adjust settings as required.
- Empty Skimmer Basket: Empty debris & leaves from skimmer basket. Replace basket if needed.
- Skim & Brush pool: Skim leaves & debris from the pool. A task that should be done daily, skimming is the most important step of your weekly maintenance routine. Algae and small bits of debris can gather on the walls of your pool, as well as pool fixtures like ladders and slides. Brush the pool walls and fixtures each week to remove dirt and prevent the spread of algae.
- Test Pool Water: Chemicals are typically added to the pool daily. These pool chemicals include various kinds of disinfectants and sanitizers which work to control the growth of certain kinds of algae and bacteria in the pool water. Bring in a water sample to Houston’s Pool Unlimited for a water test or complete an at-home water test with a test kit or strips.
- Balance Pool Water: Balance your pool water according to test results.
Download this printable version and keep it in a convenient spot to reference whenever you need it.
If you have any additional questions, call Houston Pools Unlimited at (832) 605-8713
We are specialists in managing pool maintenance. Our team is dedicated to bringing you clear, blue, safe, clean water.